New Zealand Arts Month 2019 | Your Toolkit
Everything you need to spread the word this Arts Month.
WHAT WE'RE ABOUT
A month to give arts and creativity some serious oxygen.
This September the Arts Foundation, with the help of Creative NZ, Chartwell Trust, NZME, Phantom and Go Media, are going live and wide throughout New Zealand to create open and safe spaces to share what art is to Aotearoa.
Arts Month aims to bring arts up on the national agenda and map out Aotearoa’s own definition of art, while also acknowledging the arts and creativity as a valuable medium for a greater sense of wellbeing and connectedness in our communities.
We’re asking New Zealanders to express what ‘art is’ to them. A simple question with so many answers. Everyone is invited to participate in a digital and street-level campaign.
DOWNLOAD POSTERS AND SOCIAL MEDIA ASSETS HERE
GET IN ON IT
Share what ‘art is’ to you on your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter accounts using the hashtag #ArtsMonthNZ.
- Share your ‘art is’ definition direct to your social media accounts from our online tool. (All the joys of Microsoft Paint, plus a little 2019 digital magic
- Pose with a printed version of what ‘art is’ to you. (Download one here)
- Share a short video explaining what ‘art is’ to you on social media accounts using the hashtag #ArtsMonthNZ.
- Document your experience at an Arts Month event. (Find an event near you here)
- Find a Phantom Billsticker street poster to illustrate and photograph. (Find locations here)
FULL PRIZE DETAILS AND TERMS & CONDITIONS HERE
#WIN: A TRIP FOR FOUR TO SINGAPORE
To celebrate the inaugural year of New Zealand Arts Month, the Arts Foundation is sending a party of four to Singapore – a cultural melting pot of mind-blowing cuisine, creativity, and some of the best shopping spots to boot. Did we mention summer temperatures year ’round? It’s all happening in the name of art, thanks to Singapore Airlines.
Keen to enter? Share what ‘art is’ to you on your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter accounts using the hashtag #ArtsMonthNZ. More shares, more entries!
BE IN TO WIN: SIGN UP HERE
SCORE 1 OF 9 DOUBLE PASSES TO AN ARTS FESTIVAL NEAR YOU
Find out what Aotearoa thinks ‘art is’.
Sign up for email updates from the Arts Foundation including the full Arts Month wrap-up, and go in the draw to win one of 9 double passes to an arts festival near you!
Up for grabs:
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
30 DAYS. 30 QUESTIONS.
Join our social chat about the state of the arts in Aotearoa. Every day of September we’ll be posing a different question on the Arts Foundation’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts to incite conversation.
- Don’t feel obligated to answer every question. Jump in where you can offer value.
- Promote the conversation (rather than yourself).
- Engage with others! We’ve got 120 arts organisations on board, some of New Zealand’s premiere artists, and a community that extends from Kaitaia to Bluff.
- Follow other participants, there’s a good chance that they’ll follow you back, given you’re both interested in the arts.
- Get your GIF on!
Here's a heads up on the questions:
- Why do the arts matter?
- Hands-down favourite artist of all time?
- Are the arts a luxury or a necessity?
- What was your first encounter with the arts?
- Best cross-disciplinary collaboration you’ve ever seen?
- Favourite arts moment? Bonus points for pics!
- What does creativity mean to you as a New Zealander?
- If you could rename the arts, what would you call them?
- Artists: In 10 words or less, explain what life is like as an artist?
- How would you rate the health of the Arts in Aotearoa right now? Marks out of 10?
- Artists: What’s something you miss out on that artists overseas have access to?
- If you could give up your day job, what would your artistic career be?
- “Could we be the most creative country in the world?” – Rob Gardiner, Chartwell Trust
- How can the arts be more democratic and accessible?
- Artists: How do you feel the place you grew up in has affected your practice?
- What’s missing? Dance, visual art, music, literature, film, theatre, interdisciplinary, __________?
- Favourite art memes and Gifs?
- What’s an arts moment that moved you?
- What do artists need in Aotearoa?
- What does Aotearoa need from artists?
- How can the arts tackle the great problems of Aotearoa?
- Who are your kiwi creative idols?
- What have the arts done for your wellbeing? BTW it’s Mental Health Awareness Week!
- Favourite performance venues in NZ?
- What art makes you angry?
- What’s the most creative thang you do?
- Who are your creative collaborators? Tag them below!
- What’s the one thing you’d like to tell Jacinda Ardern about the arts? (You know she’s the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage, right?)
- What’s a fair salary for a full-time practicing artist?
- Complete this sentence: Art Is: __________
Tag us! We'd love to amplify what you're doing this Arts Month.
DOWNLOAD POSTERS AND SOCIAL MEDIA ASSETS HERE
THE GOOD SORTS MAKING IT HAPPEN